Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Rant About Football


Tackle football is played with pads, lots and lots of pads.

You have your

two knee pads,

two thigh pads,

two hip pads,

even a tailbone pad---and that's just the pants!

Then there's

the shoulderpads

and anything else the player may add such as

arm pads,

wrist pads,

look wow I'm cool arm bands,

a flack jacket,

rib pads,

yes there are lots and lots of pads.

Then there's the helmet! It is filled with padding,

special padding,

complete with a chin strap.

Don't even get me started on the dozens and dozens of types of braces a player can wear.


Why, you may ask, do I rant about this? I am getting to that.


Tackle football is a CONTACT sport. They pad the boys up. The are suppose to hit the other player--after all that's most of the fun .


If I went to a

BYU football game,

a Pleasant Grove High School football game or even

a little league football game, I would EXPECT the players to hit and tackle each other.

Wouldn't you?


Why then, oh most holy of referees (yes I'm talking about last night's game), do you throw the penalty flag

again,

and again,

and again,

because the players, the padded up players, hit and tackle each other?


Time to get out my referee shirt....I'm hitting the field!


(Thanks, I feel a little better.)


1 comment: