Wednesday, October 28, 2009

More than you ever wanted to know about Crohn's Disease...

Since Crohn's Disease has been a part of my life with Lennis for more than 30 years now, I thought I'd post a small rant about it. (Yes, I guess I am ranting a lot lately!)

http://www.crohnsdiseasefocus.com/articles/about-crohns-disease/crohns-disease-symptoms.php

This website is a good one to answer questions about symptoms, what the disease actually is, etc.

Lennis had Crohn's Disease for three years before it was diagnosed. We had been married 6 months when he was finally correctly diagnosed. We have been married for 27 years. That's 30 years worth of Crohn's. bleh...

Chronic illness, including Crohn's Disease, robs the sufferer of dignity, self-esteem, the enjoyment of everyday things, a pain-free life, and many other things. However, it teaches patience, love, appreciation for the scarce, pain-free times, endurance, charity, and faith.

Yes, I said faith. Heavenly Father allows trials so we can grow--so we can become like Him--which was our greatest desire in the pre-existance. I admit that most of the time I am sick of growing and don't want to progress if it means the suffering that comes with it. How fortunate I am to have a Guide that knows all, and sees the big picture. My mortal eyes cannot see the important, eternal things--but His can, and He will led us all home, if we allow Him to.

Even though Lennis and I know this, it is still a struggle everyday. Discouragement seems to be a constant companion, while fighting to overcome depression, and hopelessness seems to be in vain. He is in the hospital again for the second time this month--discouragement abounds. Even when he is not hospitalized, his quality of life is what my sweet daughters would say "not so much".

So...., even though we get so very discouraged, and feel we cannot handle all the pressures, trials,and struggles that Crohn's Disease brings to our family, We vow to let Him led us home to His care, to His love, to His rest. Lennis and I will make it through Crohn's Disease and whatever else may come--because our Savior lives, knows us, and loves us. He alone has made it possible to come home to our Heavenly Father--home to His rest.

"I need Thee every hour"
We will be ok.

3 comments:

Alona said...

I agree!! It stinks!! Luckily Aaron's has been mild so far...his sister though...Not so lucky! It is a truly horrible disease!! We love you and pray for you though! Hang in there...it's true, thank goodness we have a loving Heavenly Father to help us through all life brings us!

Lyndsie Louise said...

mommy i love you. you are my hero.

Kimberli Hughes said...

I love the picture of Lennis and the dog. You all are troopers with this illness....even if you don't want to be.